Since 2009, funding for public libraries at the state
level has dropped dramatically. At the same time that we receive less support
from the state, we have seen an increased number of patrons making use of the
resources we offer, from public access to the Internet and mobile hotspots, use
of our free community and meeting rooms, eBooks on Overdrive and other online
resources, to the newest bestsellers, as well as story hour and the Summer
The cuts in state aid have resulted in fewer open hours and brought our state aid allocation to the same level we received in 1982. Take a moment and let that sink in.
Where do you want libraries to be in your future or the future? In your family’s future? Where would your community be without a library?
As you plan your future with your accountant, financial advisor, or lawyer, you will face decisions in regards to your estates, finances, and legacy. A Planned Gift to the Juniata County Library will benefit generations to come. Legacy donors are people just like you who want to guarantee that our libraries continue to provide programs and services for many years to come. With a legacy gift, your impact can continue beyond your lifetime. In one hundred years, you can still be changing lives. This could be the most important gift you ever make.
Legacy giving can provide immediate benefits that will give you the satisfaction of knowing that your personal philanthropic goals will be met. All of us, regardless of age or wealth, have the ability to leave a legacy. Your legacy gift of any size can be customized and structured to fit your family’s needs, your financial situation, your dreams, and your lifestyle. You can provide support for a particular area of interest at the library.
Leaving a legacy is simple. Some options include:
- BEQUESTS: Including your local library in your will or trust is a thoughtful way to benefit future generations. You can specify an amount, percentage or residue from your estate to benefit your library.
- BENEFICIARY DESIGNATIONS: Naming your library as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, annuity, CD or retirement plan can be an effective way to eliminate estate taxes.
- RETIREMENT PLANS: Donating assets from your 401(k), or other qualified retirement plan to benefit your local library can be a good choice of giving.
- CHARITABLE & LEAD TRUSTS: Establishing trusts that pay yearly income to you or the library may provide estate tax benefits.
- GIFTS OF REAL ESTATE: Donating property to your library may provide immediate tax benefits and eliminate estate taxes. Coin collections, jewelry and art may have donor value and benefit the library.
What can I do today to make a planned gift?
- If you have already arranged a Planned Gift to your local library, please let us know. We would like to honor your support and encourage others to follow your lead. Contact the Juniata County Library and have a conversation with the librarian, Vince Giordano at 717.436.6378.
- Complete a Letter of Intent (provided by JCL).
- Be sure to talk to your family and friends about your plans and personal wishes in addressing family needs as well as your legacy gifts.
- Formalize your commitment. Your attorney or financial advisor can assist you in determining what type of gift best suits your circumstances.
- For more information about leaving your legacy through a Planned Gift, please contact Vince Giordano, Librarian and Director, at 717.436.6378 or email@example.com.
Today’s planned gift ensures the future of library services for generations to come. Thank you for sharing a community passion for lifelong learning and literacy!