User Behavior Policy
User Behavior Policy
The Juniata County Library offers a full range of library services to all residents of the community, regardless of age, sex, racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc. As a taxpayer-supported institution, all residents have certain expectations of the library, including that the library shall maintain an outstanding library collection, that visits to the library will be free from harassment, physical discomfort or danger, and from psychological and emotional stress, that they will be served by friendly and efficient members of the library staff. The rights of the public are occasionally violated by the behavior of a small minority of persons.
This policy is intended to inform members of the public as to what behaviors are unacceptable within the library. These rules will be enforced in a fair and judicious manner; library staff will intervene to stop activities prohibited by this policy. Failure to comply with these rules could result in being asked to leave the library, forcible removal from library property, or termination of library privileges. Any questionable behaviors will be referred to the Library Director for a final decision.
The following are examples of behaviors considered unacceptable. This list is not comprehensive:
• Loud conversations or laughter which is disturbing to other patrons.
• Obscene or abusive language, including sexual harassment.
• Indecent attire (bathing suits, no shirt, etc.).
• Smoking or use of smokeless tobacco in the library or near the entrance.
• Use of radios, CD players, or similar equipment without headphones.
• Willful destruction or damage to any library property or personal property of patrons or staff.
• Removal of library property from the building without permission.
• Blocking or in any way interfering with the free movement of any persons in or out of the library or around library property.
• Bringing animals other than helper animals into library buildings.
• Consumption of food or beverages brought into the building by individuals.
• Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages.
• Sale, purchase or consumption of illegal substances.
• Campaigning, petitioning, proselytizing, soliciting or selling of any kind.
• Distribution of leaflets or posting of notices in areas not authorized for this purpose.
• Intimidating acts against staff or patrons or harassing behavior. Sexual harassment of any kind.
• Use of library technology for purposes contrary to state or federal law, online bullying, harassment of any type, or for viewing pornography.
• Engaging in disorderly conduct.
• Use of library telephones by any person other than library staff unless given permission by a library staff member.
• Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
This policy was approved on May 14, 2014 by the Juniata County Library Board of Trustees.